Instead of regular thin crust pizza make this German Pizza called Flammkuchen!
Jump to Recipe
This is one of my favorite dishes in the summertime in Germany, especially when paired with a Radler (German beer mixed with Sprite) sitting outside soaking up the sun! Flammkuchen is a German thin crust pizza with crispy bacon and onions with a sour cream/greek yogurt sauce. The sauce they use in Germany is Schmand, but we don’t have that in the United States. I used a mix of Greek Yogurt mixed with heavy cream, but you could use sour cream mixed with heavy cream as well.
For more German recipes:
For the dough:
- 200 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP oil (You can use bacon fat or even extra virgin olive oil)
- 125 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
For the toppings:
- 100 grams Bacon, cut in thin strips (I partially cooked mine ahead of time, but you don't need to)
- 200 grams Thinly sliced onion (I partially cooked mine ahead of time, but you don't need to)
- 200 grams Greek Yogurt mixed with heavy cream
- 1/2 clove garlic, grated optional
- 2 TBSP green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat oven 425ºF. Gather all ingredients and equipment
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, Mix together the flour, salt, water, and oil. Knead until smooth and well combined.
- Grate half a clove of garlic on the microplane into the Greek yogurt mixture, mix well. Mix in green onions into the mix. Reserve.
- Roll out the dough on a large piece of parchment paper until very thin. Place the parchment paper and the dough onto an upside down sheet pan.
- Smear a thin layer of the Greek yogurt and heavy cream mix onto the dough.Sprinkle evenly the onions and bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven, until the dough is crisp.