Birthday Cake Croissants made with a Rainbow Sprinkle Vanilla Cream topped with a Sweet Sprinkle Glaze!
My daughter, Isabelle, loves to watch Unique Sweets on Cooking Channel with me. I like to watch it, because I can keep up with what’s happening in the culinary world, while I am at home working with my girls and on my own schoolwork. I have already made Creme Brûlée Croissants, but this time I wanted to make Birthday Cake Croissants!! I know my girls will love it just because of the Sprinkles!!!
So, yes, just like my creme brûlée croissants I bought the croissants at the grocery store…Shhh!! No one needs to know! I took my pastry cream and folded unsweetened whipped cream into it, along with the most important ingredients…RAINBOW SPRINKLES! Dipped each croissant into a sweet glaze topped with rainbow nonpareils.
Rainbow Sprinkle Vanilla Cream and Buttery, Flaky Pastry all topped with a Sweet Sprinkle Glaze!
- 10 each Croissants
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened whipped cream
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 TBSP hot water
- 1/8 cup rainbow nonpareils
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, half of the sugar, vanilla bean, and salt. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, remaining sugar, and vanilla bean seeds. Whisk until sugar has dissolved slightly.
- Whisk in the cornstarch until well combined.
Whisking constantly, slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the hot-milk mixture into the egg-yolk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until it has been incorporated.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and discard vanilla bean. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the butter, and whisk well until the butter melts and the mixture cools, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled.
Fold 3/4 cup of the pastry cream into the unsweetened whipped cream until thoroughly mixed. Fold in the sprinkles.
In a small mixing bowl with a whisk, mix the powdered sugar, salt, and hot water thoroughly.
Place the pastry cream into a disposable piping fitted with a small round or small star tip. Flip the croissant onto the back fill it with the pastry cream in three spots (the two ends and middle).
Dip the top of the croissant into the glaze, place on a piece of parchment paper, sprinkle with rainbow nonpareils and allow to set, about 3 minutes.