The first time I had German strawberry cake, erdbeer küchen, was when I was living in Germany. Jump to Recipe
I fell in love with it instantly! Vanilla Sponge Cake with Sweet Vanilla Custard Cream and Topped with Fresh Strawberries and Strawberry Gelatin! Believe it or not, but in Germany, the people have a time for coffee and cake! When I worked at my job around 3 or 4 o’clock was when the entire kitchen took a break and ate coffee and cake together.
When we have gone back to Germany to visit during the summer we will get this cake and eat it together with our friends, family, or at a cafe in Bad Honnef. This cake brings back so many memories.
I LOVE MAKING THIS CAKE DURING STRAWBERRY SEASON! NOW I HAVE TO TELL YOU IT DOES TAKE SOME TIME TO PREPARE AND TO SETUP.
For more German sweets and eats check out:
German Strawberry Cake-Erdbeer Küchen
For the Cake:
- 4 Eggs
- 200 gr . Flour
- 200 gr . Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pints fresh strawberries washed, de-stemed, and sliced into thin slices.
- 1 package of strawberry flavored gelatin
For the Cake:
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whip together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla sugar in a stand mixer with whip attachement. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Fold dry ingredients with a whick into the whipped eggs and sugar.
- When I make this cake I like to use the Pampered Chef 10" Nonstick Torte Pan, as there is a slight dip in the pan to help form a crust around the custard filling.
- Grease and flour the pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake on the middle shelf for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, 1/2 of the sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and salt. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the hot-milk mixture into the egg-yolk mixture, until it has been incorporated. Pour mixture back into saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil. Remove and discard vanilla bean.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the butter, and whisk well until the butter melts and the mixture cools, about 5 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- After cake has cooled, you will be making a well for the custard to go into. Be sure to leave about 1/2 inch of cake to form a a bottom crust. Once hollow, place the pastry cream into the cake leaving 1/4 inch free from the top. Be sure it is smooth and level. Layer slices of fresh strawberries starting from the outside in.
- Follow the prepartion insturctions of the strawberry gelatin. Allow to cool to 65-70 degrees and spoon over the strawberries. You have to let it cool so the gelatin will be on top of the strawberries and top of cake, not all over the plate or bottom of cake.
- Place directly into the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours or until gelatin has completely set.