Make these Zimtsterne (German Cinnamon Star Cookies) for your next holiday treat!Jump to Recipe
My first Christmas in Germany was absolutely amazing. Yes, I missed my family of course and I made some dishes over there that I grew up with as best I could, but experiencing Christmas in a different light was a wonderful experience! There were the different types of decorations, the Christmas Markets, the food, and the chill in the air!
Fast forward 10 years later and the ways I incorporate German traditions into our Christmas is by not only celebrating Saint Nicolaus Day on December 6th but for the whole month of December I make German Christmas cookies. Yep, it’s only in December that I make a bunch of different German Christmas cookies and treats and have been doing it since before we had our family.
Zimtsterne which translates to cinnamon star, are completely gluten-free and all delicious! It is first prepared by whipping egg whites, salt, and powdered sugar together to form a meringue. Vanilla is added and then the almond flour, walnuts, and most important the ground cinnamon. This dough is then rolled out using powdered sugar and cut in stars, which in Germany it happens to be the Star of David.
You can also substitute the finely chopped walnuts for your favorite nut too.
For more Christmas cookies check out
Zimtsterne (German Cinnamon Star Cookies)
- 3 egg whites, large
- 250 g almond flour
- 50 g finely chopped walnuts
- 185 g powdered sugar
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Gather all ingredients and equipment. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment whip together the egg whites, salt, and powdered sugar till medium-firm peaks. It will look just like marshmallow fluff! Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Place about 1/3 of the whipped egg white mix into another bowl and reserve (this is very important!)
- With the remaining egg white mix fold in the ground cinnamon, almond flour, and chopped walnuts.
- Dust a work surface with powdered sugar and dust your hand with powdered sugar. Roll out the dough till about 1/2 inch thick. Cut using a 2 inch star cutter and place on the prepared baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. For better cutting dip the cutter into a bowl of water after a couple of uses, this will help make sure that your star cookies look like stars.
- Brush the tops of the cookies with the reserved egg white mix with a pastry brush. If the mix is a little stiff add a couple drops of water for easier brushing. Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven make sure the white tops of the cookies do not get brown. Allow to cool.