Check out Mickey’s Coconut Flour Chocolate CakeJump to Recipe
Since I was making the Mickey treats, I wanted the cake to be somewhat healthy. I found a coconut flour chocolate cake formula to try for the party. I planned on preparing a smash cake for Gabriella and cupcakes for all of us to enjoy, paired with a vanilla bean cream cheese buttercream.
Decorate with Cream Cheese Buttercream–
For the smash cake, make sure the cake is cooled completely- I baked the cake and cupcakes the night before the party.
Prepare a crumb layer for the smash cake-
- Place a small amount of buttercream into a bowl, from the prepared batch-this will be used for crumb layer (then crumbs do not get into the entire batch of buttercream)
- Frost the cake with a small of amount of buttercream and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Take another portion of buttercream from the prepared batch and place in a new bowl
- Take the cake out of the refrigerator and ice with the second portion. You should have little to no crumbs in this layer. 🙂
- I used two Oreos to decorate Gabriella’s smash cake
For the Cupcakes-
Prepare a piping with a plain round tip. Fill the piping bag with buttercream and swirl the buttercream on the tops of the cupcakes. I decorated with Mickey sprinkles, purchased from Michael’s, and two mini Oreos on each side for Mickey. The cupcake liners are red with white polka dots, purchased from Walmart.
Mickey’s Coconut Flour Chocolate CakePrint Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 9 large eggs room temp.
- 1 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup half & half
- 2 cups coconut flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp . baking soda
- ½ tsp . baking powder
- 1 tsp . salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil liquefied and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350?F. Grease one 6 inch cake pan with coconut oil or butter. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners (I prepared 16 cupcakes)
- Place the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt on a piece of parchment paper. Reserve.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and half and half. Mix well.
- Using the parchment paper, slowly funnel in the dry ingredients into the wet. Be sure to scrape the sides of bowl down.
- Add in the coconut oil and beat on high for five minutes.
- Place half of batter into a piping bag and pipe batter into each well of muffin tin until full.
- Spoon the remaining batter into prepared cake pan and level out with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for around 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from the center. The cupcakes will take about 20 minutes to bake or or until toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Once removed from pans, cool completely.