This butternut squash salad is served with pickled red onions, creamy goat cheese, spicy arugula and a nutty buttery dressing.
Last night we had our annual MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) Cookout and everyone was asked to bring dishes to share. I saw all the different dessert that moms were going to bring, so I figured I would take a break from the sweets and bring some salads (I know something healthy for a change :).
It is starting to become fall up here, which means the time for pumpkins, apples, squashes, and all things comforting of the season! I thought to bring this roasted butternut squash salad served with arugula, goat cheese, pickled red onions topped with a brown butter vinaigrette to our cookout! Everyone loved the salad last night. The tangy flavor of the pickled red onion paired with sweet roasted squash, creamy goat cheese, spicy arugula, and nutty buttery dressing makes this salad a great way to start a meal.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- 4 oz . goat cheese
- 8 oz . arugula
- 2 tsp . flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
For the Butternut Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and large dice the squash.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the squash, ginger, cinnamon sugar, oil, salt and pepper until evenly coated.
- Place the squash on sheet pans, spreading evenly on a single layer.
- Roast the squash for 25-30 minutes or until soft.
- Allow the squash to cool completely. This can be done the day before.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the squash, parsley and some of the vinaigrette until thoroughly coated.
- Place the squash on bed of arugula (the arugula could be tossed in the vinaigrette as well depending on the service style)
- Top with the goat cheese and pickled red onion.