Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
Who says pickling has to be hard? Within a few hours and just a few minutes of prep you will have a great garnish for a salad or appetizer…or just to snack on.
I was inspired to make some pickled red onions for this butternut squash salad-the tanginess from the onions pairs so nicely with the creamy goat cheese and top it all off with a brown butter vinaigrette!
To make these super quick you can heat the vinegar in the microwave or on the stove. Add the spices to the vinegar and pour it over the onions which have been coated with salt and sugar and in a few hours you have pickeled red onions.
Pickled Red Onions
- 2 cups red onion thinly sliced about 1/4 inch thick into half moons
- 6 oz. apple cider vinegar
- 1 oz. sherry vinegar
- 5 oz. red wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP. salt
- 2 TBSP. sugar
- 1 each cinnamon Stick
- 3 each juniper berries cracked
- 4 each black peppercorns
- 1 small or 1/2 of a large bay leaf
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Thinly slice the red onion (about 1/4 inch thick) in half moons and place in a small container. Sprinkle the onions with the sugar and salt and coat evenly.
- Place the vinegars and spices in a microwave-safe container. Heat for about 1 minute or until completely warm.
- Pour the warm vinegars and spices over the red onions and wrap the plastic wrap two times. The first time place the plastic wrap directly on top of the onions and liquid. The second time wrap the plastic wrap around the container.
- Allow to sit for 4-6 hours. The longer the better the flavor!