Make this Caramelized Red Onion Chutney as a topping on pizzas or appetizers, sauce for dishes, or pair with cheese.
I love being able to make things at home, that are available in store! I grate my own cheese using my grater attachment on my food processor- so happy about that now too (would you like some wood with your cheese-yuck! It’s also way cheaper!!) I made some bags and a t-shirt for MOPs on Monday for myself, which is available online, but I saved over $30! I like making my own pie crust, again using my food processor. When you make things that are available in the store you also know what it’s inside.
After recently trying a caramelized red onion chutney, I knew I could I make it! I used up the jar I was given for chicken wings and I wanted to make it for a pizza topped with goat cheese, garlic chicken, and I wish I had some prosciutto and arugula in my house at the time.
The chutney came out just like the jar, but way cheaper! Simple ingredients include red onions, garlic, apple juice, sherry vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and sugar. It’s a little sweet with touch of tanginess from the vinegars and it A-M-A-Z-I-N-G with goat cheese!
Caramelized Red Onion Chutney
- 1 oz . olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 oz . red onion small diced
- 6 oz . apple juice
- 2 oz . sherry vinegar
- 2 oz . balsamic vinegar
- 1 oz . apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP . sugar
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Gather all ingredients and equipment
- Place a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and garlic, cook until fragrant. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the sugar, vinegars, and apple juice.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half and the consistency of the liquid is thick like a syrup.Allow to cool.Keep refrigerated.