This is what I call Starry-Eyed Vanilla Orange Blueberry Cream Slab Pie.
Jump to Recipe
The Starry Eyed part is going in hand in hand with the MOPs theme this year (or you could have it for 4th of July, Memorial Day…).
When I first tasted this, I was reminded of the Blueberry Cream Cheese Pies that we use to make in my culinary class in high school. Oh my gosh of all the pies we made, that was my favorite! Creamy sweetened cream cheese pairs with blueberries. The pie crust in this recipe is very easy to make and handle. I used fresh blueberries as we picked 4 pounds and wanted to use them, but you could use frozen.
Vanilla Orange Blueberry Cream Slab Pie
- 3 lbs fresh blueberries cleaned and drained
- 138.8 ml water
- 200 grams sugar depending on how sweet your berries are
- 33.33 grams cornstarch
- 1.38 grams salt
- 16 ml orange juice
- 8 oz cream cheese
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 TBSP heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 of vanilla bean deseeded
- 2 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- granulated sugar or course decor sugar as needed
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Measure 1/2 pound of blueberries from the 3 pounds of berries as this will be used for the cooking process.
- Puree the 1/2 pound of blueberries with the water. Strain through a sieve.
- Create a slurry with the blueberry water and cornstarch. Place the slurry, sugar, salt, and orange in a sauce pan and cook over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Fold in the remaining blueberries and reserve.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, cream together the sugar, cream cheese, vanilla bean, and orange zest. Add in the heavy cream, vanilla extract, orange juice and mix until throughly blended. Reserve.
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Place rolled out dough into prepared jelly pan, making sure sides are also covered. (I placed parchment paper on the bottom of my nonstick jelly roll pan, just in case)
- It's ok if it's not perfect as it the bottom 🙂
- Spread cream cheese filling evenly.
- Add the blueberry filling, again spreading evenly.
- Roll out remaining dough, for top layer, and punch out stars or your favorite design.
- Top with cut out designs, brush with heavy cream and sprinkle each cut out pastry with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least two hours or overnight.
- This may be served room temperature or chilled.