While the girls were getting ready to take their naps today, I got creative and made these Valentine Shortbread Cookies filled with our favorite raspberry jam
Today is Valentine’s Day, and I usually like to give my girls a little something special to celebrate the holiday, and then it dawned on me! I forgot to get them something. After seeing so many cute Valentine’s Day cookies on Instagram, I became inspired! I have so many different cutters it’s crazy, but it has helped my husband at work 🙂 I have Christmas, Fall, circles, stars, squares, flowers, animals, and of course hearts all by Ateco.
I quickly whipped up my German Shortbread Cookie recipe and got it chilling. Brought out our jar of Bonne Maman Raspberry Preserves (this is not a sponsored post, we just love this brand), decorator’s sugar, and made some egg wash.
After the dough was rolled out to about 1/4 inch and punched out with the heart cutters, I baked the bottoms on one cookie sheet lined with parchment while the tops were on a separate cookie sheet lined with parchment. The tops were brushed with egg wash and sprinkled with the decorator’s sugar.
After they cooled I sandwiched them together with about two teaspoons of raspberry preserves.
I can’t wait for the girls to see these cookies after they wake up. Have a great Valentine’s Day and enjoy the cookies!
Valentine Shortbread Cookies
- 18 oz. shortbread dough, chilled (1 time recipe)
- flour as needed
- 12 oz. raspberry jam We love Bonne Maman
- egg wash prepared with water
- 2 oz. decorator's sugar
- Gather all ingredients and equipment. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400°F. Get two heart-shaped cookie cutters, I used a 3 1/2 inch and a 1 1/2 inch.
- Using the flour as needed, roll out the shortbread about 1/4 inch thick. Punch out the cookies and place on cookie sheets. Place the bottoms on one cookie sheet and the tops which have the middle punched out on a different cookie sheet. The cookies that have the middles punched out brush with egg wash and sprinkle with decorators sugar. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After the cookies have finished baking allow to cool completely.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons on each bottom cookie and spread evenly and top with the topped sugared cookies.