A Moist Strawberry Cake from scratch with fresh strawberries and no Jello-O!
I made Isabelle this Cake for her third birthday. It was topped with a vanilla bean cream cheese buttercream.
To go with the Toy Story theme of the party, I baked her cake in a rectangle pan and created it as Andy’s bed…that’s why Woody and Buzz are on the bed. I used fondant to made the “covers” of the bed. Pretzel rods were used as the bed posts and graham crackers as the headboards.
Moist Strawberry Cake
- 6 oz. cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 oz. unsalted butter, room temp
- 6 oz. sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 4 oz milk
- 4 oz. strawberry puree
- * optional 3 to 4 drops of red food coloring
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- Gather all ingredients and equipment. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9inch X 9inch cake pan with the coconut oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Reserve.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, on low speed mix together the milk and eggs for two minutes.
- Add the strawberry puree to the milk and eggs. Mix for another minute.
- Add the softened butter to the liquid mixture and whip for two minutes on medium speed.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet mix. Mix on medium speed for two minutes. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet mix and mix until combined throughly. Fold in food coloring if desired.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter to feee large trapped air bubbles. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before decorating with your favorite icing or buttercream.