This is my mom’s gyro meat recipe.
On Friday, while I was out shopping for eggs to color (by myself with no kids!) I decided to pick up a few other items as well. Since it was Easter weekend and Monday night I was going to see my Big Gat Greek Wedding 2, I decided to make Gyros, made with LAMB! My momma made this for dinner a few times when we were living with them while I had my broken leg. When my mom makes this she uses chicken and turkey. When I made it, I used Certified Angus Ground Beef, Ground Lamb, and Chicken. It’s so good and really easy! The must have equipment needed is a food processor.
- 1 lb ground beef turkey
- 1 lb ground lamb optional, you can use all ground beef if you're weirded out by lamb
- 2 chicken breasts skinless boneless, cut up into small cubes
- 3/4 cup toasted bread cubes soaked in milk until so
- 2 cloves garlic lightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine all ingredients and puree for about 4 minutes. Be sure to scrape down the bowl a few times, making sure everything is blended completely.
- I placed my meat mixture in an un-greased loaf pan and placed it on a cookie sheet to bake. There is also the option to form the meat mixture into a loaf and bake on a cookie sheet. Cook until temperature reaches 165°F, due to poultry, about hour and a half.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing thin.