Brown Butter Pumpkin Cookies made with real brown butter and just in time for fall and pumpkin spice season!
September is here, time for pumpkin everything! Last week I was thinking of how I wanted to kick off pumpkin flavored everything here and I knew I wanted to make a cookie! I always make my pumpkin bread and last year I made a slab pie and a pumpkin pie smoothie, I figured it was time for a cookie and these brown butter pumpkin cookies are amazing!
Brown butter is amazing! Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia, if not there is a clip where Julia Child (Meryll Streep) smells her sole Meunier and the first thing she says is “Butter!”. Brown butter has such a rich nutty flavor and it’s so simple to make by browning the milk solids from whole butter. Now in our home, we use unsalted butter as we can control the amount of salt that goes into our food. I knew the nuttiness would be great with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices!
Brown Butter Pumpkin Cookies
- 6 oz butter, unsalted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Gather all ingredients and equipment. Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the white milk solids from the butter, but do not burn about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix together the brown sugar and brown butter for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the flour and salt and mix well. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice and mix until thoroughly incorporated, be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Using a dough scoop, portion the dough about two inches apart onto prepared pans. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Once cookies are done take them out of the oven a lightly tap the pan on the stove to flatten the cookies. Enjoy!